Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I want to have a partee! Will you join me?
I like time zones. Alarm clocks work for me. Smile

I don't think I'm going to have technical differences but I'm still not 100% sure.

Anyway, I'm in if at least one of my trusty steeds will get me there. Big Grin
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to Ashley for this post:
  • UnicornSmudge
I just had the busiest 3 weeks at work and outside of work that I've had since moving here in April. Mostly good-busy but now overly exhausted! I think this upcoming weekend might be a good time to have said party in the chat. My hours at work changed so i should be free before 3pm PST and after 9pm PST Friday and Saturday.
A bucket full of wishes... is sometimes too heavy

Loved  Gloomy
I'll try to be there then. Smile

I'm glad it was good busy but you still need and deserve to rest.
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to Ashley for this post:
  • UnicornSmudge
I'll be away on Sunday, but I'll try to join on Friday or Saturday!
A first sign of the beginning of understanding is the wish to die. ~ F. Kafka
I mean, i won't be on the whole time. One of those four (morning or evening, friday or Saturday, would work for me.

Loved  Gloomy
I have a bunch of old laptops right now so I may fall asleep with the lid open or just close it out of habit while I take a quick shower, but I'm going to try anyway. It looked like it would work when I popped in for a "test run".

Matrix and even IRC and XMPP are too public for my personal tastes right now, at least until/unless I have time to build the proper infrastructure if I'm making any sense at all.

It's going to be great having it right here in my browser.
@Ashley
Wow. You are speaking French (to me)... i am so unlearned about technology stuff. It impresses me that these words mean things lol and that "you people" can understand and put it together and all of the things you do with that knowledge. It's like looking up side efdects on medications... can take me days to research and then research the research and i still don't quite understand.

I really don't even know where to start. I know some very basic html and that's it haha... but, maybe one day i will learn more about computer science and the darknet and all that important stuff. Or maybe not, maybe i will stick to plants and animals and dirt and textiles and books Smile

Loved  Gloomy
I'm sorry. I don't work in computer science or anything, I'm just a hobbyist.

IRC is a reliable, tried and true chat protocol and Matrix is a fairly new and more extensive network that you can use to connect to IRC. Both of those involve registering identities that can be connected to your offline life (employment, family, etc.) in a reasonably analagous way that Facebook profiles do.

Most webchats don't work for me because they require javascript that I don't use for philosophical reasons:

https://www.gnu.org/philosophy/javascript-trap.html
https://www.gnu.org/philosophy/open-sour...nt.en.html

so it's a bit more complicated than just buying a new device, more like remembering to bring a sandwich if your religion involves not eating pork and you're in a mixed religion group. I've been using lookalike forum software for years so it's kind of exciting and unusual to me to find usable webchat on the real deal.
Oh, wow, thanks for sharing so much information! I didn't assume you worked in the industry... i know there are a lot of people who are hobbyists... and who know so much about it! Doesn't take a degree to be an expert in something.
Thanks for posting the articles, sounds like a good starting point for me Smile

Loved  Gloomy
You don't have to register your identity for using IRC as far as I know… I think you can visit rather anonymous if you want to… I did register though since I hang around there a lot (Freenode). I used to run a private server, which is way more private, but I don't do at the moment.
Sorry @UnicornSmudge for hijacking your thread with that technical stuff.
So, you should probably start another survey whether Friday or Saturday would be best? Or you just decide for one of them and everyone else has to obey Wink
9 PM PST is like 6 AM in my time zone, 3PM PST is midnight in my time zone. Both is fine. So if I'm not making any mistake calculating this out (I'm so bad with that time zone thing), if you decide to meet Friday evening, it would be Saturday for me Big Grin Since I have to get up early on Sunday, I would vote for Friday, but if you guys decide different, I'll try to join either way.
A first sign of the beginning of understanding is the wish to die. ~ F. Kafka
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to Satiny for this post:
  • UnicornSmudge

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New Chat Option - Join us on Discord! nameless the dog-boy 4 10,581 02-24-2022, 07:58 PM
Last Post: nikoo_o