Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
wanted to share a poem I wrote
Thank you for reading it. I really wanted to share that one since as I said most of what I do is really depressing, and that's one of the only ones I've ever done that wasn't. I have written some specifically for people I've met that weren't depressing, though now that I think about it I think I wrote that one specifically for someone too and I even sent it to them before posting it here. So I guess I can only write positive things for others.
You have a good heart - and that's the most important thing of all.
Thank you, that's probably about all I have left though.
I suspect you underestimate yourself. A good heart will take a person far in this world.
You're definitely right about the first part, though so far it hasn't really gotten me anywhere having a good heart. If I'm too paralyzed by the anxiety to show the world that I have a good heart then it won't really matter much, and no one will ever get to see just who I really am inside.
Oh, I don't know about that.

Once, when fighting yet another depression and stuck wondering whether the atheists have it right, that there is no meaning to life, I had a thought: Could it be that my entire purpose in life is to merely smile a genuine smile at a secretly suicidal stranger on the street, thereby heartening him and preventing his suicide? Even if I did nothing else on this earth, would that make my life worth living?

That could be worthy of my life. And it would only take a moment.

Sorry, I am getting really tired and not making a lot of sense.
I do feel like if I could make a difference for someone else that my life would have meaning, and I feel like that is my purpose in life to find someone I can truly help and be there for them. It's like I said in my other thread, I just feel like whatever I live for it has to be someone else and I want to make a difference for someone else. Maybe that's all some of us are here in this world for, is to try and help others that are in a bad place too. Maybe all it takes is a simple smile like you said, who knows.
Yes, I agree.

You know, it's documented that people are able to 'pull themselves' out of depression (even once heard about someone coming out on top of schizophrenia) by getting involved in altruistic organizations. Anything that brings a person joy will do: Habitate for Humanity, advocacy for foster children, food banks ... . Really, doing any altruistic act one finds interesting will do the trick.

So, it's really a win-win situation: The receiver of the altruistic act gets the help he needs, while the giver receives a strong emotional boost.

And, best of all, this sounds like something right up your alley.
You know, @SuperHeroAnimals I'll vouch for your last comment. When I first came down here I started working with the Monthly Food Distribution. In between having to get out once a month for that, the physical activity of getting 'boxes' together and the time I spent with other people had a very positive effect on me.

I think that since I was one of a half dozen volunteers it wasn't so obvious that I *was* deriving quite a benefit from the work. 'Course the fact that I got to pick and choose what *I* took home was a benefit as well (seldom took much, normally chips / crackers / lunch meat when they had any)
We live by each other and for each other. Alone we can do so little. Together we can do so much.
-- Helen Keller
I've enjoyed a similar positive reaction to volunteer work.

In my case, because I love math, I provide pro bono tutoring services to disadvantaged kids and adults. I love my work and, truly, nothing makes me happier.

Win-win.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  A poem I'd like to share UnicornSmudge 4 3,310 04-05-2019, 06:31 PM
Last Post: UnicornSmudge
  Two poems I want to share jman197 2 1,565 04-04-2019, 09:21 PM
Last Post: jman197
  Essay "If you really wanted to die you'd be dead already." no_escape 4 3,698 11-10-2011, 09:31 AM
Last Post: Lurker.In.The.Night
  A poem catenin 3 2,997 08-28-2010, 04:51 PM
Last Post: perpetual darkness
  simple poem ogimyto 3 2,853 04-29-2010, 04:28 PM
Last Post: Lurker.In.The.Night
  Poem 2: The Jump Light 4 3,079 02-22-2010, 01:33 AM
Last Post: unlegendary
  Poem / untitled rolling 3 2,562 02-17-2010, 07:27 PM
Last Post: JenniLynne
  Poem Light 4 2,880 02-17-2010, 05:32 PM
Last Post: JenniLynne
  something i wrote last night, when i was feeling super-down. snuggles 0 1,285 08-05-2009, 10:55 AM
Last Post: snuggles