Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
some old junk I learned in college art and on my own..
Yikes! You must have then in to small of a tank or something.. How many did you have in what size tank?
I hear you should give a fish 10 gallons of water per inch of body size minimum.. Of course I have 15 big fish in a 100 gallon pond and they've been fine outside for a long time..
They also tell you to change water frequently which is really a nono.. don't EVER put them in plain tap water.. What I do is to pour fresh water in a barrel (because of the size of our pond) and let it sit in there for several days before adding it to the fish's water.. That lets the chlorine disipate..
Also goldfish LOVE plants..the more the better..  In our pond we have two plants that have both completely outgrown their pots.. In fact they both stick up above the water level by about 3 feet they'r so large, but they help to produce oxygen.. Fish, like us need LOTS of oxygen.. Do you have a bubbler or filter?

Fish can swim fast and when thy go upwards to fast that's how they get out.. I doubt its intentional, but they're likely to cramped up in there..
My pond hasn't been cleaned out in over a year now.. I let leaves and sticks just rot in the bottom, but it's a pond and not an aquarium.. If you're using them for display they likely won't live long, but if you treat them the way they would live in nature they'll live long happy lives. Wink

The plant below is an iris and has grown in my pond bout 4 yrs.. it's HUGE (for an iris), about 4 ft wide, 3 high roughly and the one directly behind it is even bigger now.. These pictures are from last spring.. They give the fish a place to hide from predators, plenty of oxygen in addition to the filter and waterfall i have set up and they give them a place to go to get out of the hot summer sun.. A dinky aquarium is really a death sentence to them..
The aquarium above was a 50 gal deal, but only used when i had to clean out the pond last year..

The image would help, huh?

[Image: pondplants.jpg]
"The thought of suicide is a powerful solace: by means of it one gets through many a bad night" -- Friedrich Nietzsche

Messages In This Thread
Re: some old junk I learned in college art and on my own.. - by unlegendary - 02-26-2010, 01:01 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Rainbow Art therapy prompts UnicornSmudge 1 3,007 09-22-2019, 11:17 AM
Last Post: Kittystoner21