Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Stella Award Candidates...
[NOTE: THIS ARTICLE REMOVED BECAUSE IT TURNED OUT TO BE FAKE (See Dragon's response)]
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The last one about the idiot with the RV is priceless!  Smile
While they're all good for a laugh, Snopes has a page on this ....
http://www.snopes.com/legal/lawsuits.asp

Taken from the referenced page:

Though the cases described in the e-mail are fake, real lawsuits of equal silliness can be found in abundance. An equally impressive list could easily have been compiled by anyone with access to a news database and a few moments to spare. For instance:
  • In March 1995, a San Diego man unsuccessfully attempted to sue the city and Jack Murphy Stadium for <NOBR>$5.4 million</NOBR> over something that can only be described as a wee problem: Robert Glaser claimed the stadium's unisex bathroom policy at a Billy Joel and Elton John concert caused him embarrassment and emotional distress thanks to the sight of a woman using a urinal in front of him. He subsequently tried "six or seven" other bathrooms in the stadium only to find women in all of them. He asserted he "had to hold it in for four hours" because he was too embarrassed to share the public bathrooms with women.

• A San Carlos, California, man sued the Escondido Public Library for $1.5 million. His dog, a 50-pound Labrador mix, was attacked November 2000 by the library's 12-pound feline mascot, L.C., (also known as Library Cat). The case was heard in January 2004, with the jury finding for the defendant. In a further case which was resolved in July 2004, the plaintiff in the previous suit was ordered to pay the city $29,362.50, which amounted to 75% of its legal fees associated with that case.

• In 1994, a student at the University of Idaho unsuccessfully sued that institution over his fall from a third-floor dorm window. He'd been mooning other students when the window gave way. It was contended the University failed to provide a safe environment for students or to properly warn them of the dangers inherent to upper-story windows.

• In 1993, McDonald's was unsuccessfully sued over a car accIdent in New Jersey. While driving, a man who had placed a milkshake between his legs, leaned over to reach into his bag of food and squeezed the milkshake container in the process. When the lid popped off and spilled half the drink in his lap, this driver became distracted and ran into another man's car. That man in turn tried to sue McDonald's for causing the accident, saying the restaurant should have cautioned the man who had hit him against eating while driving.

We live by each other and for each other. Alone we can do so little. Together we can do so much.
-- Helen Keller
(12-02-2009, 04:54 PM)Dragon link Wrote: While they're all good for a laugh, Snopes has a page on this ....
http://www.snopes.com/legal/lawsuits.asp

Wow, I'd better bookmark that site...

It's pathetic that people would just make this stuff up Sad  I'll have to 'vet' these articles in future.
Awe, you shoulda left it Beacon, it's always good for a laugh at what people will do.  And I'm not laughin' at you.

I'd seen the one about the woman in the RV before so I knew what to look for;  Don't feel bad, if you read the Snopes page, even the NY Times reprinted it once from an email that they got!

Snopes is a good site for checking out the odd stuff that shows up on the web from time to time - Snopes is even good just to go wandering around all for itself.

Take care //al
We live by each other and for each other. Alone we can do so little. Together we can do so much.
-- Helen Keller
(12-02-2009, 07:32 PM)Dragon link Wrote: Awe, you shoulda left it Beacon, it's always good for a laugh at what people will do.  And I'm not laughin' at you.

I'd seen the one about the woman in the RV before so I knew what to look for;  Don't feel bad, if you read the Snopes page, even the NY Times reprinted it once from an email that they got!

Snopes is a good site for checking out the odd stuff that shows up on the web from time to time - Snopes is even good just to go wandering around all for itself.

Take care //al

I use snopes.com or breakthechain.org......

Peace &  :ht:,
Jenni
The Eleventh Doctor: Nobody important? Blimey, that's amazing. You know that in nine hundred years of time and space and I've never met anybody who wasn't important before.
(12-02-2009, 07:32 PM)Dragon link Wrote: Awe, you shoulda left it Beacon, it's always good for a laugh at what people will do.  And I'm not laughin' at you.

The original article is at the link you posted, anyway, so people can still see it if they want.

I always feel cheated when I discover that funny 'true stories' turn out to be B.S.  :-[ , and don't like propagating myths any further. As you said/posted, there's more than enough genuine, funny true stories around to have to resort to fabrication...

That's an interesting site, as is the one Jenni posted.
(12-02-2009, 07:32 PM)Dragon link Wrote: Snopes is a good site for checking out the odd stuff that shows up on the web from time to time - Snopes is even good just to go wandering around all for itself.

This made me laugh:

[Image: snopes.png]
(01-16-2010, 04:49 AM)Beacon link Wrote: [quote author=Dragon link=topic=1123.msg6982#msg6982 date=1259800338]

This made me laugh:

[Image: snopes.png]
[/quote]

LOL..... It was funny......

Peace &  :ht:,
Jenni
The Eleventh Doctor: Nobody important? Blimey, that's amazing. You know that in nine hundred years of time and space and I've never met anybody who wasn't important before.