Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The magical mystery tour
Everything is dark for billions of years, but suddenly I awake and I realise that I'm on the steps of a bus. I don't remember anything.

"What am I doing here?" I ask the driver, bemused.

"Well your parents bought you a ticket," he says, handing me a little slip of cardboard. I take it off him and read it. The printout on the ticket reads "Life - Round Trip - Open."

Behind me I hear the doors slam shut.

"Hey!" I shout, "I didn't ask for this. Let me off..." But the driver is already pulling out.

"Sorry, kiddo," the driver says. "That ain't how it works..."

"But when do I get to come back?" I say.

"Well, the ticket is open, but your return journey depends on a lot of things," says the driver. "The buses that bring you back don't actually have any schedule, - they just stop pretty much wherever and whenever they want to, and pick people up at random."

"But that's crazy!" I protest. "What kind of a service is this?"

"Sorry," says the driver. "I don't make the rules."

"So where are you taking me?" I ask.

"I'm not sure. I'll just drop you off on impulse. Fingers crossed it'll be a nice neighbourhood."

"But I want to go back!" I exclaim. "How do I get one of those return buses? There must be some way of tracking them down."

The driver laughs. "Oh, they're pretty tough to track down, and they have a habit of just running into you and breaking a few bones if you get in their way. People do occasionally hop on board when the driver isn't paying attention, but they're usually quite sneaky about avoiding that. Wait long enough and one will eventually just turn up, often when you least expect it."

Resigned to my fate I shuffle past the driver and take a seat...
Cool post.... I started singing Magical Mystery Tour by the Beatles though when I read the title....

Peace,
Jenni
The Eleventh Doctor: Nobody important? Blimey, that's amazing. You know that in nine hundred years of time and space and I've never met anybody who wasn't important before.
<ToS change>
You know, every couple of days I came back and reread this, and every time I enjoyed it more.

I believe in reincarnation, but I have no idea of course what it will be like between each go-around.  This piece made me think of how it might be experienced - the confusion if I have no memory of where I just came from, nor the comprehension of where I could be ‘dropped off’ to start again.

Like any good piece of art, it drew me back more than once - and each time I found something different to appreciate.

Thank you for sharing this with us. 

Take care,  Smile

Ez
All human beings should try to learn before they die what they are running from, and to, and why.<br /> - James Thurber
(05-04-2009, 12:46 AM)Ezrasleo link Wrote:You know, every couple of days I came back and reread this, and every time I enjoyed it more.

I believe in reincarnation, but I have no idea of course what it will be like between each go-around.  This piece made me think of how it might be experienced - the confusion if I have no memory of where I just came from, nor the comprehension of where I could be ‘dropped off’ to start again.

Like any good piece of art, it drew me back more than once - and each time I found something different to appreciate.

Thank you for sharing this with us. 

Take care,   Smile

Ez

Thank you, Ezrasleo. I'm glad that you enjoyed it.

I used to believe in reincarnation, but nowadays I'm in such a bad place that I just hope there's nothingness Sad