Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Chat Permissions
There is a private chat function in the chat software we use. You can either invite someone into a private room or simply "whisper" to them in the main room.

As of today, I am lifting the requirement that you must ask someone if they wish to have a private conversation.  If one of our members does not want to chat privately, that member should simply tell the other person "I'm sorry, I don't feel like private chatting right now."

In this case, I expect all further private contact to cease.  Continued private contact will be viewed as harassment and will not be tolerated.  Members should use the procedures for complaint listed in the Terms of Service.

Thistle
I'm a bit confused here. Does "I expect all further private contact to cease" mean that we are not allowed to email each other outside of forum or engage in PM?
In chat there are private chat rooms that folks can use if they want 'immediate private conversation.' If you invite someone into a private chat and they refuse then we expect that the person making the request will respect their wishes.

If they haven't made you a 'foe' then you should be able to PM them without qualm. What happens off the forum - as much as I'd like to control some of the folks sending me spam - stays as a private conversation. Meaning, you should not copy any of their email or pm and post it on the forum (or anywhere for that matter) without their consent.
We live by each other and for each other. Alone we can do so little. Together we can do so much.
-- Helen Keller
OH, I see. So perhaps "I expect all further private contact to cease," refers to one's response after being refused a chat? In other words, if I ask someone to chat but they say 'No thanks," then I am expected to let the other person alone and not pursue them.

I think I understand now. Thank you.