Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is Anyone Here Non Christian?
I was raised Catholic, got re-baptized as a Baptist  at 20 years old to totally divest myself of Catholicism, then dumped Christianity altogether and became a deist lol. I now consider myself agnostic, though I'm slowly inching into atheist territory. I'm pretty apathetic about having religion myself, but I do find religions and the study of them highly interesting  Smile
Who will know us when we breathe through the grass? -Gary Soto
Christian I suppose, though it seems to change based on the stress I'm under....  :-\
"I want to thrive, not just survive." - Thrive, Switchfoot
Hmmm... I was raised as an atheist (though my mother often showed an attitude and "moral" which suits better to Christian fundamentalist parents, she claimed to be an atheist), searched a long way - mostly Wicca and other neopagan movements.
Now I see myself as a very spiritual person, without belonging to any organized religion. I respect real spirituality (no matter which religion it is), I try to respect and not hurt others' beliefs.

Though organized religion is really not for me, there is one thing I am really interested in. Zen/Chan buddhism! It is so... both rational and spiritual (but without this mystical type of brainwashing. Quite normal and down-to-earth.) And nonviolent. And it does teach tolerance and patience, which I really need to learn.
At least, for me, it gives great help against my aggression problems (which used to take the form of self-injury or alcohol abuse.) I would not say that I am PERFECTLY free from this "introverted aggression", but since I begun practising Chan, I am not SO self-dangerous as I used to be, and I can stop drinking before I would end up acting stupidly or saying crazy things. I wonder if I am the only one here, but I experience Chan as "better than psychotherapy". Anyone else here? :}
Seems a great time of year to resurrect this thread, thank you Ravnengel.  I was raised a Catholic, but I seem to be a Unitarian Universalist now.
Quote:"You'd be a lot safer & a lot happier if you were dumber."- My Therapist
My comment was waaaayyyy back there and I'm not going to reiterate it .. but this is always one of those interesting aspects of life in the suicidal crowd.
Thanks to everyone who has put their two cents worth in ...
We live by each other and for each other. Alone we can do so little. Together we can do so much.
-- Helen Keller
lol. I'm an atheist now.

Christian. Wow.
"I want to thrive, not just survive." - Thrive, Switchfoot
Interesting thread.

An intelligent human once said,
"If you cannot tell the difference between right and wrong, it is not religion you need. It is empathy and compassion that you lack."

I was raised in a very militant christian way.
Nit beleiving in god, i refused to get baptized as a 10 or 12 year old.
My patron goddesses since I learned of them in 3rd grade or so were Athena, goddess of war and of wisdom, and Artemis, goddess of the hunt, both virgin goddesses.
I have since studied buddhism and hinduism and think there is much truth to be found there. Wicca makes sense and I too appreciate the aesthetic, but my beliefs and spirituality are wider than that. I do read tarot and am slowly studying astrology and dream interpretation.

From most religions I take any wisdom I can reap.

There is so much from my christian experiences that make churches places I avoid and feel uncomfortable in. Always have. Dropping christianity is not simple if it was engrained into you. So much i do not know if my mind will ever heal from. Has a lot to do with my parents being who they are as well.
If I ever travel though I will enter the ancient ones to observe the aechitecture and art.

I think buddhism is the straightest path but for some of us it doesn't encompass other aspects of spirituality that we experience. I think this for me is why hinduism seems to be pretty on point.
I need to delve into ayurvedic studies as well, but too disorganized rn.

My church is the mountains, the sea, the forest, the rivers and the desert.
A bucket full of wishes... is sometimes too heavy

Loved  Gloomy
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to UnicornSmudge for this post:
  • nikoo_o
Atheist.

I do recognize and believe that Christianity is the main reason why America exists and is so successful though.

I think the most useful religion for me would be Buddhism. Atleast certain aspects of it. Have never tried meditation before but from what I read it has peaked my interest in that practice. I think the jist of it is to be content with your current self rather then perpetually chasing after happiness that lasts temporarily.
(11-26-2018, 12:25 AM)MurphysLaw87 Wrote: I do recognize and believe that Christianity is the main reason why America exists and is so successful though.

Well that is an interesting thought.  Not sure I can agree, at least in terms of the success.  I think America's success is owed to the aftermath of WWI and WWII.  The manufacturing base was greatly improved in order to wage the war and after the end of the war America's main competitors had rebuilding to do while the US could hit the ground running economically.

Canada and Australia were in similar positions.  Canada I do not think had quite the population to take advantage in the same way the US could.  Australia I am not certain about, I would need to do some research to see what might have prevented them from ascending along with America.

A second major factor in my opinion is cultural - in America it is possible for anyone to execute on their ideas.  (That is not to say there was no bigotry.)  The cultivation of the "streets are paved with gold" image drew immigrants to the US to start businesses or study at universities.  I am mostly referring to the twentieth century, but even today, look at how many of the tech giants were founded or are run by immigrants.

OTOH we shouldn't discount the contribution of Christianity and how some of the basic Christian tenets (do unto others) underlie American culture even for atheists and those with no Christianity in their heritage.  So I would certainly be open to the argument that America's Christian roots supplied a necessary foundation for it's success.

Like I said, an interesting thought.
@apophenia I agree with all of your points, especially our economic success thanks to WW2 lend lease program but I was mainly speaking culturally which laid the foundation as you have mentioned. Take it all the way back to the first settlers. The ones who risked the voyage across the Atlantic in order to practice their own version of Christianity free from Catholic and Protestant persecution. They were a unique group with risk taking characteristics. Add to that a high regard for the rule of law that not even Europe can hold a candle to and you got the beginning of a great nation.