Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Shakespearean insults!
@nikoo_o I had to play with that a good bit to make it readable, not sure what changed but it was tiny.  I noticed yours was too, so I made it a tad bigger.  See my note.
gall is, I think, another name for that bile you mention.  And it's part of the digestive juices - in this case stuff that works mostly on the grease in food.

Shakespeare Quote Generator So we don't have to keep going back to page 1

I'll pray a thousand prayers for thy death.
Taken from: Measure for Measure
We live by each other and for each other. Alone we can do so little. Together we can do so much.
-- Helen Keller
[-] The following 2 users say Thank You to Dragon for this post:
  • nikoo_o, UnicornSmudge
@Dragon Omg no, lol I thought that that was on purpose lol, so I made the sizing of it smaller. doglaugh

It's good to know that I wasn't hulluncinating the whole tiny text thing because yeah... It was pretty small...

Also lol, I think I set my settings to 50 posts per page so it's still on page one for me LOL!

P.s. regarding your note thing, I think that it only takes in the same text sizing from website copied if it's in "quick reply," but if you do the whole "preview post" thing, it doesn't do that, probably (I suspect anyways, not the expert in this LOL!) because it has to go through an extra layer of computer stuff, which helps the computer reread it and catch it...lol.

Guess we're adding these to all of our posts here as well... Tongue

You are as rheumatic as two dry toasts.

Taken from: Henry IV, part 2
sometimes, having too much control of your mind leads to a loss of control
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to nikoo_o for this post:
  • Dragon
Oh man the last few posts gave me a good laugh!

For the record, every time I have copy-pasted the insults into a reply, I also have to change the font size because it comes out tiny. So it's not just y'all.

Also what I was wondering about Gall and the connection to the gallbladder, what I meant is the way Gall is used as a personality or action descriptor, it means something like "having balls" or even "preposterous", like when somebody does something and somebody retorts "the gall!", it's like saying "wow! where did that forwardness come from?!?" Or "how highly they must think themselves to act in that way towards another"

So my question is, how did gall / the gallbladder become associated with that meaning?

@nikoo_o lmaooo you changed the txt to tiny ! It's both funny and not, it sure shows what anxiety and wanting to do the right thing but not quite knowing how to interpret the information we're getting because of our anxiety, does to us and makes us Act, right? Makes me feel less alone with my (strange) thought processes sometimes then anyway XD

Also, @Dragon your
"I'll pray a thousand prayers for thy death"
Could be taken here in this social group as support or an act of mercy lol

Draw your neck out of your collar.

Taken from: Romeo and Juliet

This is sort of funny, I take it to mean something cowardly? Interesting phrasing
A bucket full of wishes... is sometimes too heavy

Loved  Gloomy
[-] The following 2 users say Thank You to UnicornSmudge for this post:
  • Dragon, nikoo_o
@nikoo_o I'm going to try you comment and see what happens.  It used to work fine and then it started putting everything in "small print" ... we'll see.

Pasted as I'm entering a message:
Your bum is the greatest thing about you; so that in the beastliest sense, you are Pompey the Great.
Taken from: Measure for Measure

and edited after the fact to center it.

@UnicornSmudge I was thinking the same thing about that quote but decided to let it stand.  There is a humourous side to it either way ...

@nikoo_o pasted in quick edit:
Your bum is the greatest thing about you; so that in the beastliest sense, you are Pompey the Great.

and in full edit:

Taken from: Measure for Measure

Oh now that's interesting!!!  Don't paste your quote when you're editing and we'll be fine.  Though even this is larger than some I've pasted in.
We live by each other and for each other. Alone we can do so little. Together we can do so much.
-- Helen Keller
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to Dragon for this post:
  • nikoo_o
Lmaooo at least we got to read that bum quote 3x hahahaha!

Thanks @Dragon for being scientific abt it & finding the problem! That makes sense though, I feel like what I've been doing is starting a reply, then posting it so I don't lose it (bc sometimes when I change tabs it refreshes for whatever reason), and then copy pasting the insult, & then going back and adding it in an edit; now I know it would be better just to add it separately or, even better, plan ahead and get the insult first LMAO

Also, fancy, centering the alignment haha I better start doing that

doglaugh 
So, is this quote the equivalent of modern slang, "Dat ass tho" ????

@nikoo_o also feel the need to comment on one you posted a few posts ago, it was a long one and included "bull pizzle" which, if I can practice enough without bursting out laughing, I will now use instead of "bullshit" lmao!!

.....so then with pizzle, did Shakespeare invent this way of editing words to end in "izzle" before the rappers? Is he the OG?
This thread is *really* amusing me today

Also.... I *feel* rheumatic as 2 dried toasts!

Loved  Gloomy
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to UnicornSmudge for this post:
  • nikoo_o
@UnicornSmudge Uh, before you start throwing bull pizzle 'round too loosely, you might want to look it up and see what it means.

Thou hast neither heat, affection, limb, nor beauty
To make thy riches pleasant.
-- Helen Keller
  • nikoo_o, UnicornSmudge
(01-23-2022, 04:22 PM)UnicornSmudge Wrote: Also what I was wondering about Gall and the connection to the gallbladder, what I meant is the way Gall is used as a personality or action descriptor, it means something like "having balls" or even "preposterous", like when somebody does something and somebody retorts "the gall!", it's like saying "wow! where did that forwardness come from?!?" Or "how highly they must think themselves to act in that way towards another"

So my question is, how did gall / the gallbladder become associated with that meaning?

No idea to be honest, the only thing I've found was that the "gall" was linked to the origin of the name "gallbladder." Although that was also a very quick Google search there lmao. (Hey, look at us, researching what "galls" and "gallbladders" have to do with the other!).

(01-23-2022, 04:22 PM)UnicornSmudge Wrote: @nikoo_o lmaooo you changed the txt to tiny ! It's both funny and not, it sure shows what anxiety and wanting to do the right thing but not quite knowing how to interpret the information we're getting because of our anxiety, does to us and makes us Act, right? Makes me feel less alone with my (strange) thought processes sometimes then anyway XD

LOL! Mhmm in a way. Also, it was just fun to play around with the text styles/fonts/animations here Tongue. Correct me if I'm wrong, but this is BB Code, right @Dragon?

(01-23-2022, 09:31 PM)Dragon Wrote: @UnicornSmudge Uh, before you start throwing bull pizzle 'round too loosely, you might want to look it up and see what it means.

doglaugh XD

(01-23-2022, 08:06 PM)UnicornSmudge Wrote: Lmaooo at least we got to read that bum quote 3x hahahaha!
My thought exactly. doglaugh

(01-23-2022, 08:06 PM)UnicornSmudge Wrote: .....so then with pizzle, did Shakespeare invent this way of editing words to end in "izzle" before the rappers? Is he the OG?
This thread is *really* amusing me today

A lot of people steal Shakespeare's stuff, but then again people these days are basically just copying off of each other so....

(01-23-2022, 08:06 PM)UnicornSmudge Wrote: Also.... I *feel* rheumatic as 2 dried toasts!

Hope you feel better!

Thou wouldst eat thy dead vomit up,
And howl'st to find it.

Taken from: Henry IV, part 2
sometimes, having too much control of your mind leads to a loss of control
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to nikoo_o for this post:
  • Dragon
(01-23-2022, 09:31 PM)Dragon Wrote: @UnicornSmudge Uh, before you start throwing bull pizzle 'round too loosely, you might want to look it up and see what it means.

Hehehe I *did* look it up just now & it's way worse, more like calling someone "donkey cock" hahahah i am *definitely* going to use it now next time someone deserves it!

Loved  Gloomy
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to UnicornSmudge for this post:
  • nikoo_o
That's a lot like my referring to someone with "Look Sirrah!" Now that doesn't look bad it's "obsolete. —used as a form of address implying inferiority in the person addressed."

And you missed the obligatory Shakespeare quote - oh, for shame woman!!

Were I like thee I'd throw away myself.
Taken from: Timon of Athens
-- Helen Keller
  • nikoo_o, UnicornSmudge
Sorreeeeee! I have been being busy & productive today -how odd lol!

Ok so here's a pretty good burn (lol!!):

Thou clay-brained guts, thou knotty-pated fool, thou whoreson obscene greasy tallow-catch!

Taken from: Henry IV, part I

Greasy tallow-catch
Hahahaaaaa! Sooo creative! Unless that was a common insult of the time lmao but i sorta doubt it!

Loved  Gloomy
[-] The following 2 users say Thank You to UnicornSmudge for this post:
  • Dragon, nikoo_o

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  When Insults Had Class Dragon 2 1,745 01-22-2022, 11:00 PM
Last Post: nikoo_o