Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Wisława Szymborska
On my suicidal shopping round today, I unexpectedly picked up a book. This wasn't part of the plan; it was one of those where I just opened up a page at random and started reading, and within three lines I knew that I was holding a masterpiece in my hands. To those who are not already familiar with it, I felt that I had an almost moral obligation to let you know about it. The book was "Poems New and Collected" by Wisława Szymborska. If this was the last book that I ever read, then I think I could not have picked a more beautiful one. And it is not just for poetry aficionados - it's for everybody, even if you never read poetry before in your whole life. I hope you enjoy it as much as I did.
(05-21-2009, 01:18 AM)adonais link Wrote: On my suicidal shopping round today, I unexpectedly picked up a book. This wasn't part of the plan; it was one of those where I just opened up a page at random and started reading, and within three lines I knew that I was holding a masterpiece in my hands. To those who are not already familiar with it, I felt that I had an almost moral obligation to let you know about it. The book was \"Poems New and Collected\" by Wisława Szymborska. If this was the last book that I ever read, then I think I could not have picked a more beautiful one. And it is not just for poetry aficionados - it's for everybody, even if you never read poetry before in your whole life. I hope you enjoy it as much as I did.

Thanks for the heads-up on this.  I love your poetry, so I trust your taste in others' works.  I'll check it out.
(05-21-2009, 01:18 AM)adonais link Wrote: On my suicidal shopping round today, I unexpectedly picked up a book. This wasn't part of the plan; it was one of those where I just opened up a page at random and started reading, and within three lines I knew that I was holding a masterpiece in my hands. To those who are not already familiar with it, I felt that I had an almost moral obligation to let you know about it. The book was \"Poems New and Collected\" by Wisława Szymborska. If this was the last book that I ever read, then I think I could not have picked a more beautiful one. And it is not just for poetry aficionados - it's for everybody, even if you never read poetry before in your whole life. I hope you enjoy it as much as I did.

It seems to me--from a small sampling of her work that I have read---that she takes the time to actually think about her topics before writing, rather than just spewing words.  Is that the impression you get?

BTW, one relevant to this board is at http://www.poetseers.org/nobel_prize_for...ggeration/
I don't know if that's in the volume you found.