Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
In defense of Suicide Prevention
Stacey Freedenthal has another post on her blog titled "In defense of Suicide Prevention"  Unlike many of her earlier posts, this one bothers me more than others.  

She says that there has to be something better than keeping them "alive and miserable" but then reneges on what those options can or should be.

Comments from you all, either here or on her blog are appreciated.
We live by each other and for each other. Alone we can do so little. Together we can do so much.
-- Helen Keller
Hmmm... I don't know what to think. I guess she sort of opts out of talking about the chronically suicidal by saying that 'most' people regain the will to live again. But not everyone does. And you're right, no suggestion what options are better than being alive and miserable.

I have a confused opinion about what I think about her post because I'm of two opinions about suicide prevention in my own case. My bipolar diagnosis by its nature means I do experience some highs in my life (which are sometimes good), but does that outweigh the misery I experience most of the time? The fleetingly happy me would say yes... most of the time... but suicidally depressed me says no.

Sorry to ramble...
The article to me, seemed to focus on why we should prevent a person completing suicide more from the view of society or those close to, rather than the suffering person themselves. The empasis on those left behind, suicide contagion etc...

But when she did focus on the suicidal person...
"People need more resources and more reasons to want to stay alive. If society treated people better – if there were more jobs, better health care, and less violence, for example – fewer people would want to die."

No... that is too simplistic a view, as though if all those things could be resolved, people would no longer want to end their own lives. If only it were that simple! Unfortunately people's lives are a lot more complex and everyone's reasons for feeling suicidal are varied and unique.
To the world you might just be one person, but to one person you might be the world.