Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Speaking of Suicide … Within Limits
Stacy Freedenthal - has posted two more articles on her blog.  One I need to visit since it has to do with suicide among military veterans, then other is a question and her decision regarding how she responds to comments that take a pro-suicide stance.

If you're so inclined, I'd appreciate your view on how I describe our forum, comparing it to the blog she writes.
We live by each other and for each other. Alone we can do so little. Together we can do so much.
-- Helen Keller
You know, it's interesting. There are certain explicit differences between a blog and a forum. In a forum, you have cross-member communication, and each member has an account and comes back to it (if they so choose), so you can kind of follow certain individuals through their posts. In a blog, you don't have that same continuity. Like she mentioned, you will have one member comment on how hopeless they feel, but you don't see that the person is doing better.

I like the way this forum is run in that the talk of suicide is not something that is immediately taboo. One of the few people I have told I am suicidal opened up the conversation of suicide. Instead of immediately jumping to "no, suicide is bad!", we had an interesting conversation about humanity's tendency towards suicide and death (he's a philosopher who believes that at the very core, every person wants to end their lives). Being able to talk about it without judgment brought a great sense of catharsis. This forum helps to allow these sorts of conversations to happen. The way you describe this forum is as a space where people can discuss ideas, topics, or situations and receive support without judgment and also without discussion of methods.
“The thought of suicide is a great consolation: by means of it one gets through many a dark night.” Friedrich Nietzsche

This, too, shall pass.