Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New blog post "What stops you?"
I really do like the way Stacey Freedenthal writes.  Her latest blog post is What Stops You? and like all of her blog entries it's one that provokes thought.
We live by each other and for each other. Alone we can do so little. Together we can do so much.
-- Helen Keller
It's really inspiring, because this is something I always ask myself. I am probably not worth it, but other things are.
A first sign of the beginning of understanding is the wish to die. ~ F. Kafka
Sooooo.... what's your answer?  Big Grin
Quote:"You'd be a lot safer & a lot happier if you were dumber."- My Therapist
I've been asked that question many times... it seems to be the approach my mental health professionals take to trying to keep me around.
Stacey had a comment on her blog about this article that reads like:
Quote:In my case, my reason for not doing it is fear that I will not succeed. And unfortunately, most ‘pro-lifers’ are content just to make suicide unavailable, and there isn’t any real parallel effort to try and improve lives to the extent that people no longer see suicide as an option. So if these anti-suicide measures actually achieved success, then all they would be successful in doing would be trapping people in a miserable existence. Take this piece on the supposedly liberal Guardian, for example. It talks about the zero suicide target, but seems content to tackle the symptom of the problem (i.e. suicide) whilst not doing anything to help people with the problem that leads to suicide:
https://www.theguardian.com/society/2017...te-suicide
And of course, they disabled comments on that article so that nobody could raise the ethical implications with the fact that they are advocating for the entrapment of some of the most unfortunate people in society.

... and I have to agree with the comment, so many impediments have been put in place - for example the net on the Golden Gate bridge, which is still a work in progress, after the movie The Bridge - and people who need and want help aren't getting it.

I looked for pictures of the GG project - plenty of pictures of the shiny new net that's partially in place - what's missing? A few signs telling the person who's ready to jump that they can get help - real help - by calling <someone!>  This, I think, follows the trend - stop someone from committing suicide, but don't worry about getting them help!
We live by each other and for each other. Alone we can do so little. Together we can do so much.
-- Helen Keller

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New Blog Post: When Suicidal Thoughts Do Not Go Away Dragon 6 4,231 05-16-2018, 12:32 AM
Last Post: Dragon