A sonnet.

When in the dreary hour of decline
I sit and think on life’s untrodden ways,
And how they left, bereft of their sublime,
My sum of waking hours and all days;
When fond remembrances shall cease to bear
The yoke of blissful sleep, and every dream
Reveal thy comely countenance: I fear
The end of night, and dawn’s dispelling beam.
Thus like a weeping willow I becloud
My soul with tears. Yet do I tend a space
Where even silence seems too like a shroud
Of woe—And wistfully I lift my gaze
Above the emerald boughs, where skylarks play
In warbled rhymes, entreating me to stay.
(05-16-2009, 08:01 PM)adonais link Wrote:A sonnet.

heh...your first few lines of rumination remind me of When I have Fears that I may Cease to Be by Keats.  Smile

Excellent sonnet.  I like the alliteration, imagery, internal rhymes, well-structured enjambment...and your innovative twist on Shakespearean sonnet, with the ebeb ff ending (instead of efef gg).

I'm curious how long this took to craft.  I see many "sonnets" cranked out...yet it always takes me considerable time to craft one (not that I could ever reach this level!).  Not only the skylarks, but I also entreat you to stay...and create more pieces of beauty!

Thank you.

--S
(05-16-2009, 08:59 PM)Sadstguy link Wrote:heh...your first few lines of rumination remind me of When I have Fears that I may Cease to Be by Keats.  Smile

Yep, you know your Keats.

I was very inspired by that poem and was trying to achieve a similar kind of rhythm. I don't remember how long I spent on this one, it is actually several years old; I was reminded of my old sonneteering days from your replies in your other thread. I think I worked on it for a couple of days, but I should have spent much longer of course, it is rather troubled in several places and could definitely have been written much better.

Oh well, I'm not pretending to be a real poet, I'm just a lowly poetaster  ;D
Wow that was very good. Poetry is so mysterious and difficult for me. I can manage Haiku, but a fluid, well structured sonnet feels like it takes some real technical skill. Hats off to you.
(05-16-2009, 09:11 PM)adonais link Wrote:I think I worked on it for a couple of days, but I should have spent much longer of course, it is rather troubled in several places and could definitely have been written much better.

Do you happen to know/recall who said that a good sonnet couldn't be written in less than a month, or something like that?
(05-17-2009, 12:49 AM)Sadstguy link Wrote:Do you happen to know/recall who said that a good sonnet couldn't be written in less than a month, or something like that?

I don't recall that, but I doubt it was Keats, considering his 15-minute sonneteering duel with Leigh Hunt in 1816, wherein he wrote the sonnet "On the Grasshopper and the Cricket".  ;D
(05-17-2009, 06:30 AM)adonais link Wrote:I don't recall that, but I doubt it was Keats, considering his 15-minute sonneteering duel with Leigh Hunt in 1816, wherein he wrote the sonnet \"On the Grasshopper and the Cricket\".  ;D

...thus demonstrating what a slacker he was, most of the time...  ;D

(05-16-2009, 08:01 PM)adonais link Wrote:A sonnet.

That was very good..... Thank you so much for sharing..... My knowledge of poetry is extremely limited (by that I mean, about all I know about poetry I've seen in the movie Dead Poet's Society)...... It is lovely though and I thank you for sharing...... Please do share more (that goes for you as well Sads, and anyone else as well).....

Peace &  :ht:,
Jenni
The Eleventh Doctor: Nobody important? Blimey, that's amazing. You know that in nine hundred years of time and space and I've never met anybody who wasn't important before.
you're super,
please keep writing  :H: