Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Security -or- do I really need a VPN
I know that I've upset some new users when, in chat or a PM, I'll comment about their location.

Let's face it, about 1/2 of our new "users" are spammers and I've tried over the years to keep this a secure and clean website.  We want to be able to talk about what we want to without someone knowing much, if anything, about us.  One of the ways that I keep us secure is by monitoring who logs in from where - most spammers come from Russia, Thailand, etc.  More importantly, I check to see if the IP (Internet Provider) address is on one of the blacklist sites (sites that have lists of the IP's used by spammers).

I am not trying to intrude on your personal privacy, unless you mention where you're from I never will

One of the sites I use to check IP addresses is StopForumSpam, they're one of the better "blacklist" sites.  I also use WhatIsMyIP which shows the location of the IP through which you're reaching us.  At no time do I really know your specific location, just a general location.

Okay ... WhatIsMyIP is offering an e-book about how to keep yourself safe on the internet. While I consider myself somewhat of a techy, there were some comments in it that were new to me.  Times change, things happen and staying abreast with those changes helps.  One of their recommendations is to use a VPN (Virtual Private Network).  I use Firefox almost exclusively as my browser and there is an add-on (ZenMate) that allows you to automatically set up a free VPN that selects from five different locations through which to route your traffic - in fact, if you use a VPN any web site you visit will "think" you're located in someplace that you're (probably) not.  For example, I currently am being routed through their British hub so it appears as if I'm in London, UK.

One of the concerns I've seen with using a VPN is a possible loss of speed.  My download speed without the VPN is 3.02Mbps while with the VPN it's 2.98Mbps ... a slight but insignificant loss of speed for added security.

Your opinions and concerns are important to me, feel free to comment //al
We live by each other and for each other. Alone we can do so little. Together we can do so much.
-- Helen Keller
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to Dragon for this post:
  • nikoo_o

Messages In This Thread
Security -or- do I really need a VPN - by Dragon - 02-04-2015, 12:13 PM
RE: Security -or- do I really need a VPN - by fallentoofar - 11-05-2016, 05:22 PM