Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Considerations ...
Because of a lot of things with the current forum software, I'm considering moving us over to another type of forum, which you can see here.  Your current user name and password will work there.

Okay, I know change is horrible, but it looks like something that's more usable than SMF is in some ways at the moment.

I'd appreciate it if you'd take a look at it and then give me your feedback here.

I'm doing a lot of things over there and things may change, literally, minute by minute and if /when we generally decide what we want to do  I will reconvert the existing SMF over to MyBB so any messages posted there will be lost.

Your comments will be appreciated .... //al
We live by each other and for each other. Alone we can do so little. Together we can do so much.
-- Helen Keller
Hmmmm....  three days after posting this, the only two people who have looked there are me and NightSong (and I about dragged her there).

15 members have logged on here during that time ...

It seems as if I'm being given two choices:
  • Leave this up as it is and just let it continue to degrade over time.
  • Make the conversion to MyBB without consideration of your wants / needs.

Neither of those options is good to me .....  :NFB:
We live by each other and for each other. Alone we can do so little. Together we can do so much.
-- Helen Keller
I whole-heartedly disagree- YOU DID NOT DRAG ME OVER THERE!  <shakes finger> 

So far the only thing that I've found that I don't like is the lack of a mobile version.  It's too tiny to read the full version on my phone, I wouldn't actually be able to check messages throughout the day when I'm gone, which sometimes can be all day long.  Other than that, as long as the PM thing is fixed, I think it would be a great change- ESPECIALLY if it makes your life easier!
Quote:"You'd be a lot safer & a lot happier if you were dumber."- My Therapist
New site looks fine to me, and if it enables better functionality, then the move is a good idea.  The only thing I don't like is the way the date displays on the new site - I'm not American and the way you guys write your dates is whacky lol  :o
The new site looks good.  There are 3 things I want to raise though ... 1) I don't find an icon for 'Home', but I figured when I clicked "ChronicSuicideSupport" which appears in different places on different pages can do the job.  2)  Where is the icon for chat?  3) I was supposed to be "invisible" and it did tell there was one invisible user but my ID was shown right below and my profile was linked ...
(09-11-2014, 07:31 AM)feelingsicke link Wrote: The new site looks good.  There are 3 things I want to raise though ... 1) I don't find an icon for 'Home', but I figured when I clicked \"ChronicSuicideSupport\" which appears in different places on different pages can do the job.  2)  Where is the icon for chat?  3) I was supposed to be \"invisible\" and it did tell there was one invisible user but my ID was shown right below and my profile was linked ...

Hey Lady, it's good to see you!  And I was in chat just a few minutes after you left this morning (well, it *was* morning for me, Smile )

Responding to your comments:
  • Yeh, that threw me for a bit as well.  The trail exists at the top of most pages, so I find it useful there.  If / when we implement MyBB (and I can figure out how) I think I'll put a "home" on the menu bar.
  • For the nonce, you can get to chat (as you found) from this url http://www.chronicsuicidesupport.com/mybb/chat (again, I need to figure out how to get something on the menu bar)
  • While I would need to get you and some other regular member on line at the same time to verify this, I think it's safe to say that you'll always see yourself, even if you're invisible.

Using the directions I gave Elspeth to get into the User Control Panel, the very top of the Options page is "Privacy", can you confirm that that is checked please.  If not I'll talk to the guys who wrote the conversion program.  Also, a bit further down the page (about three lines or so) there's a check box that says "Hide your email from other members."You might want to make sure that is checked as well.
-- Helen Keller
(09-11-2014, 05:19 AM)Elspeth Wrote: New site looks fine to me, and if it enables better functionality, then the move is a good idea.  The only thing I don't like is the way the date displays on the new site - I'm not American and the way you guys write your dates is whacky lol  :o

Tell me!!  I have friends in the UK and I tend to flip dates around - even when I don't have to and that leaves me looking foolish!
However you can choose to use any of several different formats:
  • At the top of the page you should see a link to "User CP" (that's the User Control Panel), click on that
  • On the menu, left hand side, drop down and you'll see "Edit Options", click on that
  • Bottom, left hand corner "Date and Time Options", use the drop down and select one of the 13 different options there.
-- Helen Keller
Hi; I say go for the new site. But I add; this is said with absolutely no technical knowledge base whatsoever, and i'm still figuring out this one....but change is going to happen.
What's the worst that can happen? We all die? Sorry, had to say it....lol.
"Should I kill myself, or have a cup of coffee?"

Albert Camus
(09-13-2014, 06:33 PM)eeyoremia Wrote: What's the worst that can happen? We all die? Sorry, had to say it....lol.
Confusednort:   ;D
Quote:"You'd be a lot safer & a lot happier if you were dumber."- My Therapist
:NFB:

The new TEST version of the forum looks like it's coming along nicely.

Chat is on the menu and seems to work ... at least NS and I have spent some enjoyable time harassing each other!

I would still appreciate input from people about how it looks / feels to you.

BEAR IN MIND that anything you do there is going to be temporary until the conversion takes place ... if it does.

A few comments:
  • I've enable Positive reputations, I'll leave it as an excercise for you to figure how to use it.  That allows us to say "Thanks", with or without a comment and not have to post a message if we're just not in the mood.
  • You can also rate the content of a thread in general.  One to five stars at the top of the thread. Noto bene: you can't rate a thread that you stared.
  • At the top of the page:
    • [li]Chat opens the chat window, I suggest you right click and have it open in a new window/tab, otherwise it opens in the current window.
    • Search allows you to enter criteria by which you wish to search and how you want it sorted on the display.
    • Member list opens the member list (well, what'd you expect.)  You peruse it, send PM's the normal stuff.  It has two display options, one looks like a business card and the other is a standard list.  Click on the column heading (in list mode) to sort b that column.
    • The Calendar display the days events - as a number, click on the date and it will open up and show you who's having a birthday, etc on that particular date.
  • Assuming you're signed in (you wouldn't be able to see most of this if you weren't) under the heavy black "Welcome" bar are a few more things:
    • If you have any "Buddies" clicking on "Open Buddy List"does just that and shows you whether your buddies are on or off line.
    • View new posts gives a list of all new posts that you haven't read.
    • Show today's posts gives a list of everything that's been posted today whether you've read it or not.
    • Private Message allow you to read or send a PM to another member (of course)
-- Helen Keller