Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Thoughts on A Christmas Carol (i had never seen or read this before)
So, last night my folks wanted to watch a christmas movie. I usually hate all christmas stuff because I think it's BS. Mom promised that this one had ghosts in it and, I know it's a classic but I've never read it or seen it, not familiar with the story. So, I joined  to watch.
This is the movie that came out in 1984.

First, the costuming, makeup, casting, scenes, and special effects were all very good, especially considering old technology. 

The storyline interested me. I am such a Scrooge. My mum usually calls me a Grinch. I actually felt bad for Ebenezer as he was transported through memories of his past and shown what lie ahead on his path.
 The judgment that the visiting spirits were passing on him seemed harsh to me, given what experiences he'd had and how where he was as an old resulted from how he was trying to protect himself from the world, and it made sense to me why he would have grown so cold-hearted. 

I often feel the same way... cranky, dontchu ask me for my money, when people die, well, we have a population problem and finite resources here.
Now, a difference between myself and our protagonist is that I am actually super duper broke, where he had that business acumen and was loaded, and he had the ability to make a financial difference in people's lives but had chosen not to. while this is not the sort of power that I hold, i will be thinking on this story because it is more about attitude than about the money. I also remind myself that it is just a story.

But, especially with the physical pain i experience daily and abuse and general BS I've grown tired from in my life, my patience has grown thin, my heart hard, and my words cross. Some of this is to protect myself. But i know sometimes I am just plain ornery. The bad part is in the times I take pride in it.
Anyway, things to think on as I plug my ears from christmas music (I am disenchanted after all) and avoid the holiday cheer I think on as a lie of society and a gimmick to promote materialism.

Thoughts........
A bucket full of wishes... is sometimes too heavy

Loved  Gloomy

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  One of the best reads you'll ever want to read.. unlegendary 0 1,932 07-30-2010, 09:57 PM
Last Post: unlegendary