Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Books, Music and Movies
Share what you're into at the moment. I just finished rereading Tender is the Night by F. Scott Fitzgerald. That book meant a lot for me when I first read it... it was as if someone put their hand on my shoulder and said "I understand". It showed me that I wasn't alone in feeling broken beyond repair, and also the prose is just beautiful (all his books are things of beauty).

I've been on music abstinence for a long time, thinking that I used it to make myself more depressed. That may be true, but it can't be worse than the cold robot I've become in the past year. Listened to Joni Mitchell's album "Blue" the other night. It's not something I listen to often, but when I do it usually hits right to the heart and makes me cry (after not having cried for months usually). http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w5782PQO5is

Nirvana's Unplugged in New York album is something I used to listen to almost every night in highschool, with the lights out after my Mom went to bed. Sometimes it was the only period in the 24 hour day when I felt something resembling "good". It's fun to watch the video online now, and hear the humorous banter between sets. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AhcttcXcRYY
I like to read and have a good selection of ebooks on my computer, but since my electricity depends on the sun - which hasn't been out a lot lately - I raided my mothers books to see what she had left me. 
I've been reading the "Left Behind" series - not that I'm apt to be saved by them - I find them a very well written set of (in my mind) science fiction / future fantasy books.

I won't even bother listing music, no one here would know who I was talking about - but that's fair, I seldom have any idea who you all are talking about!
We live by each other and for each other. Alone we can do so little. Together we can do so much.
-- Helen Keller
I've been curious about "Left Behind" since hearing about them. Must be something to it to be so popular (besides just the premise). Any other good reads in your mother's books?
Well, unwisely I stayed up until 3 AM reading I Miss Mummy by Cathy Glass, but it's about foster care so it was chock full of triggers for me.  It was an easy read though, and I finished it in 6 hours.

I've also been working on Body Clutter by Marla Cilley, aka FlyLady, which is about the beliefs behind emotional eating.  Can't say I've gotten very far in that one, to be honest.

What I'm reading the most (today) is Exile's Valor by Mercedes Lackey.  I love her books, and I've reread all of the Valdemar books several times over.
Quote:"You'd be a lot safer & a lot happier if you were dumber."- My Therapist
No_Escape:  Eventually I'll have to dig deeper but she didn't have many books mostly collections of magazines that mostly got left behind when I moved her.  Since I acknowledge, several time here, that I'm a god aware person the story in Left Behind is interesting.  Oh, I'm not - and probably never will be - a "born again Christian" (or even Christian for that matter) I respect the belief that others have and have nothing but the utmost respect for the (in my opinion) true Christian who believes and practices the teaching of the Bible.
That said, it's interesting to read the "prehistory" of some who have lived past the "Rapture".  The situations the authors put them in and the characters responses are enlightening in some cases and frightful in others.  As I said, as a fantasy it makes an enjoyable read.

NightSong - you should know better than to go reading things that will trigger you!  Maybe my delving into escapist literature, in both current senses of the word, is my way of avoiding those triggering events but, at my age, triggering is one thing I don't need.  Besides it really messes up a beautiful day to suddenly feel pressure from 40 and 50 years in the past.
We live by each other and for each other. Alone we can do so little. Together we can do so much.
-- Helen Keller

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Ghostbusters and other "summer" movies lin 2 3,333 08-07-2016, 07:50 AM
Last Post: Fos-K
  Pastimes - watching the movies. Dragon 2 2,499 06-08-2013, 06:29 PM
Last Post: Dragon
  Hospital Music - Matt Good placid path 1 2,586 10-22-2010, 04:00 AM
Last Post: placid path