Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What Book(s) are you reading right now?
Right now I'm reading Uncle Tom's Cabin by Harriet Beacher Stowe. And I too agree that the Holocaust is a very interesting subject.  Smile
"I want to thrive, not just survive." - Thrive, Switchfoot
(08-29-2010, 01:15 PM)Dragon link Wrote: 'bout damn time!! << chuckle >>  Sheesh, some people are slow!!
Now you are saying this as it was a bad thing. being slow. Always have to be so highly efficient and extremely fast. Fast, Fast, Faster. never time to stop to breath. What's wrong with you people!  :Ang:

I watched two seasons of True Blood and now I'm reading the first novel, Dead Until Dark by Charlaine Harris. There's so much to read in this series, but I'm supposed to read The Millennium Trilogy by Stieg Larsson starting with The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (original title in Swedish: Män som hatar kvinnor – "Men Who Hate Women").

My other current readings include The Haiku Handbook and Japanese Death Poems.
*And if I seem a little strange, well, that's because I am
*Life, loathe it or ignore it, you can't like it.
*A tremendous feeling of peace came over him. He knew that at last, for once and for ever, it was now all, finally, over.
Uh-oh;  No, James. I was teasing Lurker about not seeing the joke in cunning linguist.  A bad play on cunnilingus - and I'll leave it to your Finish dictionary to do the translation.

Quote:What's wrong with you people
Nope, not going there!  Even if I had even if I had enough time in this life to answer it, I'd probably step all over peoples toes if I tried to answer it!  Smile

Good to see you back around //al
We live by each other and for each other. Alone we can do so little. Together we can do so much.
-- Helen Keller
(09-26-2010, 06:21 AM)jameswilliam link Wrote: I'm supposed to read The Millennium Trilogy by Stieg Larsson starting with The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (original title in Swedish: Män som hatar kvinnor – \"Men Who Hate Women\").

That series was so popular this past summer. So many people were reading it!
I finished The Final Exam finally realizing that it was published by one of the vanity press companies - the further I got into the book the more spelling / grammar errors there were which detracted rapidly from an already overdone story line.
According to the back cover, Ms Wynne already has several degrees and professions - she should stick to them rather than writing.  I've been told that she has another book that she's preparing to release, i won't rush right out to buy it.

On the other hand, I've been reading some escapist fantasy by Robert Asprin, The Great Skeeve and friends, thorugh 15 books, has provided a fair degree of entertainment and the gentleman does like his puns!
We live by each other and for each other. Alone we can do so little. Together we can do so much.
-- Helen Keller
(09-26-2010, 09:49 AM)Lurker.In.The.Night link Wrote: [quote author=jameswilliam link=topic=1894.msg12722#msg12722 date=1285500107]
I'm supposed to read The Millennium Trilogy by Stieg Larsson starting with The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (original title in Swedish: Män som hatar kvinnor – \"Men Who Hate Women\").

That series was so popular this past summer. So many people were reading it!
[/quote]Movies were hits as well. I have a problem to decide should I read the books first or see the movies (haven't seen them yet, almost bought the DVDs more than once but local TV airs them in Oct/Nov so maybe I could wait. But DVD has deleted scenes...). I only wish I could read them in original language but my Swedish was never that good and now I have forgotten everything (that wasn't a lot anyway).
*A tremendous feeling of peace came over him. He knew that at last, for once and for ever, it was now all, finally, over.
(09-26-2010, 07:40 AM)Dragon link Wrote: Uh-oh;  No, James. I was teasing Lurker about not seeing the joke in cunning linguist.  A bad play on cunnilingus - and I'll leave it to your Finish dictionary to do the translation.
For some strange reason I want to believe I can see the big picture here. Could it be possible that you are not able to see if you were teased by me or not. Unfortunately my dictionary can't help me with this but I would like to add that I know my cunninglinguist rather well if you don't mind me saying so.

(09-26-2010, 07:40 AM)Dragon link Wrote: Good to see you back around //al
Thank You Very Much.
Okay!! Hoist on my own petard, am I!!
-- Helen Keller
If I have the choice I will *always* read the book first then go to see the movie.  I may grouse that some scenes that I felt important were left out of the movie; the alternative leaves me feeling like I should know what's going to happen but there's all this extra 'stuff' in there.
-- Helen Keller
(09-27-2010, 10:14 PM)Dragon link Wrote: If I have the choice I will *always* read the book first then go to see the movie.  I may grouse that some scenes that I felt important were left out of the movie; the alternative leaves me feeling like I should know what's going to happen but there's all this extra 'stuff' in there.

You are odd. I always get upset that the book is better than the movie when I watch the movie.  Tongue