Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What's the Saddest Song You've Ever Heard?
(05-09-2014, 03:08 PM)Lurker.In.The.Night link Wrote:[quote author=catenin link=topic=1708.msg12261#msg12261 date=1282626324]
The Smiths - Asleep

Link to the song Asleep with lyrics: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oNIJAUVC7sQ
[/quote]
Nice! I was planning to post this one but I never did.
*And if I seem a little strange, well, that's because I am
*Life, loathe it or ignore it, you can't like it.
*A tremendous feeling of peace came over him. He knew that at last, for once and for ever, it was now all, finally, over.
Nobody has mentioned Billie Holiday's Gloomy Sunday?

It's the English version of the notorious 1933 "Hungarian Suicide Song" which supposedly led hundreds of people to kill themselves. That turned out to be an epic urban legend, but the song is so sad it's believable. The English version here added a Hollywood ending so it wouldn't be quite as depressing. But Billie Holiday's voice is still as mournful as it gets.

Oh, Gloomy Sunday is a very depressing song. I've heard Sarah McLachlan's version before, which is pretty sad too.
(01-14-2016, 11:31 AM)Abzilla Wrote: Oh, Gloomy Sunday is a very depressing song. I've heard Sarah McLachlan's version before, which is pretty sad too.

Haha I've actually avoided listening to Sarah's version because hearing her voice on that song would be too sad for me to bear  Sick  Her voice is so beautifully tragic, I don't know if that's a good thing or a bad thing for me
Saddest Song is Streets of Heaven by Sherrie Austin. Its about a mother sitting next to her dying child.
Suicide Themes; my favourite is Asleep by the Smiths. And No Surprises by Radiohead. Hurt the Johnny Cash version; Easy Tonight by Five for Fighting and Youth by Daughter
"Should I kill myself, or have a cup of coffee?"

Albert Camus
Day after Day (the show must go on) by the Alan Parson's Project

The lines:

Think of a boy with the stars in his eyes
Longing to reach them but frightened to try
Sadly, he'ld say someday, someday...

They crush me every time.
(05-29-2016, 04:53 PM)oblivion Wrote: Day after Day (the show must go on) by the Alan Parson's Project

The lines:

Think of a boy with the stars in his eyes
Longing to reach them but frightened to try
Sadly, he'ld say someday, someday...

They crush me every time.

Alan Parson's Project is a good band. I have their CD of Edgar Allan Poe songs.
"I want to thrive, not just survive." - Thrive, Switchfoot
The Hanging Tree by Jennifer Lawrence

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nxqxg0V0Osk
"I want to thrive, not just survive." - Thrive, Switchfoot
"Something I Can Never Have" by NIN used to really stick with me.  Different phase of my life though.  First I thought "Fake Plastic Trees" by Radiohead.  But "Brothers On A Hotel Bed" by Death Cab brings the tears for me.  A bit awkward for me too, because if it does that I want to try to sing it - not sob it. Rolleyes
Perhaps not the saddest I've ever *heard*, but I can scarcely read the lyrics without breaking into sobs: "Days" by The Kinks.  It seems like a tribute to someone who once loved the lyricist (Ray Davies), but it reads like a very personal eulogy.

As far as listening to it . . . a good deal of music by The Kinks has an unassuming, almost goofy sound to it.  Maybe why I'm not more of a fan. Rolleyes

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What's the Happiest Song You've Ever Heard? Lurker.In.The.Night 1 1,790 12-14-2017, 05:39 PM
Last Post: Satiny