Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
In the blink of an eye..
I took my dog Pepe to the clinic with me today and she was on her leash as always and when we got back I was walking her along the side of the house and there was a small bird on the path directly in front of us. I didn't even see it until it moved, but Pepe was zeroing in. I just thought it was a small wind blowing leaves around.She tugged at the leash which made it difficult for me because normally she stays right beside me, but this time she lowered her head in the classic stalk mode dogs do and the bird took off flying only to get snatched right out of mid flight by Pepe. It happened to utterly quick that even now I'm astonished at her speed.
Well, she took to straight to the ground ready to kill and eat it then I pulled back on her leash a bit and it got away momentarily and she caught it in flight a second time then I pulled back again on her and she let it go and it flew away to the nearby bushes.
This dog has caught quite a few birds in her 4 years. Once as a pup I saw her jump at least twice her own height she would be on her hind legs to snare a bird in flight so now most birds, especially the locals know to stay well clear of the beast roaming the back yard. It'll KILL em! Even the squirrels know to keep a third eye always on that kyootle.. I've found bits of squirrel fur out there before.
Ironically she never bothers the big fish in the little pond out there. We have Koi who are now over a foot in length and several 6"+ gold fish as well. She just drinks from the pond never bothering the fish although I'm sure if you asked the fish I'm sure they would confess to being somewhat annoyed. Wink
"The thought of suicide is a powerful solace: by means of it one gets through many a bad night" -- Friedrich Nietzsche
Poor squirrels and birdies. haha your dog is ferocious.  Big Grin
"I want to thrive, not just survive." - Thrive, Switchfoot