Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
El Diddlo
When people ask you whether you believe in God, they usually mean do you _worship_ God. It seems unthinkable to them that someone would believe in God's existence without worshipping Him, since the alternative is hell.

But what if God is so venal and abusive that He doesn't deserve worship regardless of personal consequences? In private I refer to God as "El Diddlo" because He molests His children. Heaven is really just a piece of candy He gives to His children to make us stop crying after He has finished molesting us.

Can anyone possibly worship such a creator? I can't. Worshipping a pervert is beyond me, and sometimes self-preservation is trumped by what is right.

Discuss among yourselves.

Woody
First, I don't believe "he" exist and even IF "he" did no gawd would be referred to in the masculine because that would tell us that no "she" would exist. Is gawd just some sort of self contained sexless being and if so why refer to it as "he"?
I'm not trying to say that all of the religious community is nuts, but they are crazier than bat shit in my humble opinion..  :-X  :Smile

http://whywontgodhealamputees.com
"The thought of suicide is a powerful solace: by means of it one gets through many a bad night" -- Friedrich Nietzsche
Do you remember the Sadduccees from the Bible? I always thought they were kind of cool.

Woody
I have a very very born-again friend (well, he used to be a friend...) who tries to use this line on atheists: "what if I could give you absolute proof of the existance of God? What then, HUH?!"

The answer he wants is that "I would fall down on my knees and admit my atheism was wrong and worship God." The answer he EXPECTS is "I am so fixed in my atheism that I would still not accept the existence of your god, la la la la I'm not listening."

The true answer, which I've given up giving since HE isn't listening, is this: "I would have a few things to ask The Deity". Worship? I don't get it. If I were the omnipotent, omniscient creator of all, why would I care what a few after-thoughts I made just before my day off did?
"The function of prayer is not to influence God, but rather to change the nature of the one who prays."
-Soren Kierkegaard
"I want to thrive, not just survive." - Thrive, Switchfoot