Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Blog Post: When Suicidal Thoughts Do Not Go Away
@Echo66 I know Stacey well enough, I think, that she considers suicidal ideation a problem whether it's in crisis or not.  I think it safe to say that she recognizes - as she says in her post - that it's often an expression of other existing problems. She says "chronic suicidal thoughts typically indicate that an unhealed wound needs healing, whether that wound arises from past trauma, mental illness, grave loss, or some other cause."  Maybe it's just the way I read it, but thoughts of suicide are a symptom (and suicide itself is a symptom, albeit the ultimate symptom) of other problems that need healing.

While living in Houston I found a "pshrink" at the VA who was great for me.  First, he actually listened to what I had to say.  Secondly, he acknowledged that any time things went "south" for me that suicide was "on the table".  He was, I think, willing to prescribe just about anything I wanted if I thought (and if he agreed) it might help.  And finally, it was my choice to accept hospitalization if I felt that I wan't safe.  I could walk out of his office knowing (or at least felling like) that he had my back IF!

Your last comment strikes home from what I've seen with other MH providers - they simply don't understand that, again as Stacey mentions, "The more someone thinks of suicide, the more they might get used to the idea. This can weaken their inhibitions and fears about suicide."  Complacency - on either part - is as you say "Dangerous territory."

@blackcat I don't delete people who go away for a while after they've posted something, they're a part of the forum and they're missed when they go quiet.  The only people I delete - sorta out of hand - are people who register and then never post anything.  I don't mind lurkers - but after 4-6 months I really do expect to see something.
and it's good to see you back - though I wish you (none of us) didn't feel the need to visit.
We live by each other and for each other. Alone we can do so little. Together we can do so much.
-- Helen Keller

Messages In This Thread
RE: New Blog Post: When Suicidal Thoughts Do Not Go Away - by Dragon - 01-05-2018, 10:04 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New blog post "What stops you?" Dragon 4 2,854 09-17-2017, 10:20 AM
Last Post: Dragon
  Coping with Suicidal Thoughts: A Resource for Patients nightsong 0 2,916 07-28-2015, 05:29 PM
Last Post: nightsong
  Talking Back to Suicidal Thoughts nightsong 3 3,484 08-04-2013, 05:38 PM
Last Post: nightsong
  Chronic suicidal thoughts & implicit memory blackcat 1 3,095 03-12-2013, 05:37 PM
Last Post: feelingsicke