Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Status of CSS
The following is a copy of the message that was sent via email.  

I am at a complete contretemps regarding the Chronic Suicide Support Forum.

Our hosting company recently notified me that is was time to renew our hosting for another year. My immediate response was "Why am I financing this?" It's not that the cost of maintaining the site is so high, it's that the participation is so low. I was on the phone with one of our members and they volunteered to pick up the cost for this coming year - thank you.

Over the past two months there have been 15 messages posted - extending that out over a year means that we've posted about 100 messages - that means that each post cost me about $1.50 per message - if we were an active forum that would not concern me. Over the past two months 16 of our members have 'checked in' but only have four have posted anything - is there nothing happening in your lives to share?

During the time that I've been the administrator participation has continuously dropped - something for which I must accept the blame - but I don't know how to change that, I sincerely wish I did.

As I look across the web, CSS continues to be the only place where someone can drop in, discuss the state of their life and their desire to end it all without everyone immediately jumping on the "You'll go to hell if you do!" bandwagon. I and others have tried to support those who want to continue trying, we have also shared the pain of those who don't think they can or want to continue trying. I have also acknowledged the right of each and every one of us to end it when and if we feel that's appropriate. I don't think I've ever told anyone that "You can't do that!", I admit that I've often suggested that they reconsider their thoughts and feelings before they take such a final action, but that is a responsibility that *I* feel is 'right'.

My friends, I would like to think that there is no longer a need for CSS, that magically all the problems that we face are gone and we're all "shiny, happy" people. Realistically, I don't think that's the case. I don't think it's appropriate to ask anyone to cover the expense of a forum that *I* find less and less effective.

For me, personally, your responses will tell me what direction CSS should take in the future - if there is to be a future.
We live by each other and for each other. Alone we can do so little. Together we can do so much.
-- Helen Keller

Messages In This Thread
Status of CSS - by Dragon - 03-26-2016, 12:53 PM
RE: Status of CSS - by jenjen - 03-26-2016, 05:32 PM
RE: Status of CSS - by Lurker.In.The.Night - 03-26-2016, 09:43 PM
RE: Status of CSS - by Dragon - 03-26-2016, 09:48 PM
RE: Status of CSS - by Dragon - 03-26-2016, 09:58 PM
RE: Status of CSS - by Lurker.In.The.Night - 03-26-2016, 10:37 PM
RE: Status of CSS - by sh3ky - 03-27-2016, 07:43 AM
RE: Status of CSS - by Abzilla - 03-27-2016, 02:18 PM
RE: Status of CSS - by Shivering Sands - 03-27-2016, 04:35 PM
RE: Status of CSS - by Fos-K - 03-28-2016, 01:15 AM