Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Deleting Messages
I think I need to set a procedure that I and my assistants will follow when it comes to a user deleting messages.

If you really screw up when you're posting a message, you can delete it at that point and everything is fine.

If you decide that a message you posted a month ago is not what you wanted to say and it has been replied to you can still delete, but the chances are excellent that if we on staff see it, we will restore it.  Attempting to delete a message to which someone else has replied leaves a "hole" in the thread - often leading others to wonder "what happened?"

Be aware that "deleting" a message does not really delete, it marks it for deletion and one of us on staff will actually have to delete or restore it.

The alternative is to set the forum up so that no messages can ever be deleted once posted - sometimes we hit "post" and then decide that we really didn't want to do that, the way the forum is set up now allows that functionality and I'd like to keep it that way.

The reason for this post, btw, is that one of our olde users went through and deleted some of their messages (well, actually most of them).  I was looking over the forum after doing an upgrade and realized that there were some really odd holes in some of the threads and checked to see what was happening - it was then that I realized that there were several messages deleted from the thread I was reading - they have been restored.
We live by each other and for each other. Alone we can do so little. Together we can do so much.
-- Helen Keller

Messages In This Thread
Deleting Messages - by Dragon - 06-06-2015, 12:43 AM
RE: Deleting Messages - by Eight Ball - 06-07-2015, 10:53 AM
RE: Deleting Messages - by Dragon - 06-07-2015, 12:21 PM