Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Talking Back to Suicidal Thoughts
An interesting article with some ideas on how to cope with suicidal thoughts.  Have you tried any of these? Did they work?
Quote:"You'd be a lot safer & a lot happier if you were dumber."- My Therapist
I use the idea a lot but with several years of behaviour modification therapy behind me - looking for and correcting 'stinking thinking' is a natural.
One line of her blog post especially stood out:
Quote:In his book Feeling Good: The New Mood Therapy, the author, psychiatrist David Burns, writes that we all have a prosecutor living inside our head, and few of us have a defense attorney.
I think that's a good way to phrase the idea ...
We live by each other and for each other. Alone we can do so little. Together we can do so much.
-- Helen Keller
Stacey Freedenthal, PhD, LCSW commented on Talking Back to Suicidal Thoughts.
Quote:in response to Al Jones:
Quote:Excellent article! As one who spent way too much time in suicidal ideation I heartily concur with the concept of “talking back” to the suicidal thoughts. “That’s foolish!”, “Oh, that’s gonna hurt!”, “It isn’t gonna last!” and a slew of other ways to let my, and I love the idea, Defense Attorney have his say.

Thank you for your feedback, Al. Those are great comments for rebutting the suicidal thoughts.

I am intrigued by your website chronicsuicidesupport.com. It is great that your site offers support to people with recurrent or longstanding suicidal thoughts. this group faces a great deal of stigma and resistance in the mental health field. Your website reminds me that I will need to write a post about this sometime soon. Thank you.

Maybe this will bring us a new member or two.  While the good doctor is, of necessity, against suicide she does have some good thoughts on how to live with ideation.
We live by each other and for each other. Alone we can do so little. Together we can do so much.
-- Helen Keller
1- Dude, I'm impressed at your bravery for commenting on the article itself.  Obviously it was something that hadn't even crossed my mind!

2- Do defense attorneys take sabbaticals?  I think mine might have gone on an extended one.
Quote:"You'd be a lot safer & a lot happier if you were dumber."- My Therapist

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New Blog Post: When Suicidal Thoughts Do Not Go Away Dragon 6 4,231 05-16-2018, 12:32 AM
Last Post: Dragon
  Coping with Suicidal Thoughts: A Resource for Patients nightsong 0 2,904 07-28-2015, 05:29 PM
Last Post: nightsong
  Chronic suicidal thoughts & implicit memory blackcat 1 3,077 03-12-2013, 05:37 PM
Last Post: feelingsicke