Chronic Suicide Support

Full Version: Out of the (suicide) closet
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Many of you know that like Stacy Freedenthal, she seems to be able to relate to what a lot of us have gone / are going through.  

I think her most recent blog entry explains why ...like many of us she's had to deal with her own devil and being a psychiatrist that's put her into some odd situations.  She comments on the why and the reaction of her peers in that blog entry.
Her posts are immensely powerful. This one truly encompasses the reason for secrecy. I read her article yesterday but failed to look at the name. It's honestly one of the things that angers me; the people who supposedly care (ie doctors, therapists, nurses, etc) will judge you immensely for having mental health problems. And once you have that on your record, the stigma follows you around. At least, that has been my experience in my institution. Also, it's sad-- I work with psychiatrists in my research lab, and I do get the feeling that if they knew, I would likely be judged. I get that impression from hearing them talk about patients. Although, my PI was talking in our last meeting about how so much money is being put into research to prevent suicides, yet the number of suicides has increased. In a sense, we're failing as researchers.

Thanks for sharing, Dragon.